Sunday, January 25, 2009

Dreaming of Sunny Barcelona during demonstrations

On my way from language class on January 14 I saw a group of young people walking in the street on Evlogi Georgiev blvd. They walked in front of the cars and some of them dragged a trash container into the street and dumped it. The drivers seemed fairly placid and amused by the demonstrators.
I met a young man in their midst who told me that he was demonstrating against the government. He spoke broken English and was surprised that I could understand him. He said he learned English from playing video games on the Internet. He was 22 years old, homeless for the past 6 years and living under a bridge behind the National Palace of Culture. He offered to show me where he stayed. We walked to the center of town where the demonstrations started that day. The police had an area cordoned off near Rakovski Street and all the demonstrators had left.
My companions dream was to go to Barcelona and work. He had a good friend there who was going to put him up. Sunny Barcelona was the place he would find work, companionship and happiness for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment